Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My little bit of No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency

"No.1 Ladies Detective Agency" is the first book of a series by Alexander McCall Smith. They are very popular. I think it is the first book of the series which was made into a movie. I have to admit that I tried to read the first one but could never get into it and never tried again, though I really like other books by McCall Smith.
Anyway, the main character of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency is Precious Ramotswe (aslo known as Mma Ramotswe). She lives in Mochudi in Botswana but apparently some of McCall Smith's settings are inspired from Gaborone and apparently one of the place where she goes for tea is inspired from the tea room at the hotel where I was staying.

This is the balcony from which I took the market photos, so you can see why it would be a good spot for a lady detective to observe what is going on.

Just outside Gaborone you can go and visit the film set, and you have the Number 1 Ladies' Detective opera house. You can also take The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency Tour!

As an aside, hotels in Gaborone are outrageously expensive. This hotel which was a three stars was clean but was ultimately very plain. The space between wall tiles in the bathroom had gaping holes which I wouldn't care about if it wasn't  for the fact that this was the most expensive hotels I have ever paid for (I can't stay "stayed at" because through my job I have stayed at some pretty fancy hotels). 
Due to some mistake of the travel agent I stayed for two nights for the price of one night (the hotel did not have to take the loss), so it was supposed to be a really good deal, but even at half price it was grossly overpriced.

Botswana tourist industry is known for being very expensive.

No comments: