Wednesday, February 09, 2011

What a blast!

I am loving the Chinese lessons with my tutor.Her English is not great but it does not really matter and she has a great personality. I think she is even more enthusiastic about me trying to learn Mandarin than I am.
Today I was saying something when she started laughing. When I asked what I had said, she answer: "No it was very good. Your face is white and you speak like Chinese!" which is apparently just too weird for words.
She taught me how to say that I was looking for a taxi the way "Chinese people say" as opposed to proper Mandarin. And each time I practice that sentence she laughs. She just cannot get over that "white face" saying something in colloquial Mandarin. She's a great person.
Tomorrow we are going to China Town to eat "real Chinese food".

The book tidying in the charity store worked out very well. I spent 5 hours yesterday and one today. Of course it is not even close to being done. I will go back tomorrow. They really have some great books in that store. Just today 3 full cardboard boxes were donated! I am having fun with it I meet different people. I can take the time to talk or just stay with my nose in the books as I please.

I am leaving Jo'burg for another road trip this Tuesday or Wednesday. I am sort of sorry to go actually.

No comments: